Twenty-year-old pokerhead builds a six figure bankroll from $11
12/31/09 – A 20-year-old student from Vancouver, Canada, who still lives with his parents and took the last semester off to play poker, has been creating waves of interest at Ultimatebet and in the online poker media and on message boards this month.
The reason is his remarkable combination of skill and good fortune in building his last $11 into almost a million dollars in winnings…most of it over a period of only five days!
Using the handle XBLINK, the young gun invested his last $11 in a buy-in to a NLHE tournament at Ultimatebet.com. His subsequent victory in the tourney gave him $750 to work with, and he managed to build this to six figures in a few days, describing his progress as follows:
1. $11 tournament won 1st place —> $750 (all I had on my account, was going to redeposit if i lost the tournament)
2. $750 grinding low stakes omaha.
3. $750 –> $4k the next day, move up to 2/4 and 3/6 PLO, then to 5/10.
4. 4k –>$16k, played 5/10 and 10/20 PLO
5. For the next 2 days, I was bouncing from $20k – $60k playing 10/20 PLO.
6. 5th day: Start 25/50 PLO , I see 6 digits now.
7. 6th day till now – play 25/50, 50/100, 100/200, 200/400 PLO, and NL when theres no PLO.
The five days were not without stress and excitement; the young player went busto more than 20 times for around $500 on each occasion.
Sceptics who checked XBLING's story out through Poker Table Ratings confirmed that the facts matched his claim, with online winnings peaking at $833 193 on December 11, although this amount has since declined by over $200 000 on high stakes action PLO.
Will he continue to progress or see his bankroll seriously depleted or even vanish in the new year? There's a growing number of poker fans who will be following developments, that's for sure.