Wednesday June 4,2014 : SPORTS BETTING BOOSTS SPANISH GAMING SECTOR
First Quarter results show 10 percent growth in GGR
Spanish online gaming regulator Direccion General de Ordenacion del Juego (DGOJ) has released Q1 2014 market results on the Spanish online gaming market.
Compared to Q1/2013, the DGOJ indicated the market had grown 10 percent year-on-year with gross gaming revenues totaling Euro 67.93 million (Q1/2014: Euro 60.9 million), an increase of 9 percent.
Total amounts wagered increased 8.75 percent year on year to Euro 1,573.8 million with January in particular delivering a record performance where stakes amounted to Euro 540.2 million.
Operator spend on advertising, sponsorship and promotion amounted to Euro 16.61 million, a 10.68 percent decline year-on-year.
The number of active players increased 9.64 percent compared to the same period last year but the number of registered players declined 5.26 percent.
In terms of Gross Gaming Revenue, Betting leads with 55.41 percent, followed by Poker with 26 percent, Casino 13.09 percent, Bingo 3 percent and Contests 2.4 percent.
Segmented, poker is in decline with:
– Gross gaming revenue declined 4.33 percent
– Total gross gaming revenue Euro 17,66 million of which Euro 11.48 million was derived from cash games, down 6.29 percent and Euro 6.19 million from tournaments, down 0.5 percent.
– Gross Gaming revenue increased 0.68 percent to Euro 8.89 million
– Of the Euro 338.6 million played in casino, 73.73 percent (up 4.46 percent) was spent on roulette and 26.20 percent (down 4.82 percent) on blackjack.
– Stakes amounted to Euro 642.73 million of which sportsbook share was 99.06 percent and Track Betting was 0.92 percent.
– Total Gross gaming revenue of Euro 37.64 million of which Euro 37.2 million from sportsbook and 0.38 percent from track betting.
– Sportsbetting increased 29.26 percent and Track betting 53.51 percent.
– Gross gaming revenue increased by 19.54 percent.