Thursday July 24,2014 : SPORTS BETTING SAVES THE FRENCH ONLINE MARKET
Sports betting vertical the only one to deliver strong results in second quarter.
The situation for French online poker may be dire but the nation's online sports betting vertical – boosted by the World Cup football in Brazil – delivered strong results in the second quarter 2014, with regulator ARJEL reporting:
* Wagers up 44 percent y-o-y at Euro 286 million;
* Gross profit up 64 percent at Euro 59 million;
* Substantial World Cup football action which drove football wagers up 76 percent y-o-y.
* Wagering on basketball, rugby and volleyball up 30 percent, 14 percent and 75 percent respectively;
* H1-2014 wagers up 34 percent to Euro 540 million;
* For the first time since legalization, online sports betting was higher than pari-mutuel racing, which delivered Euro 255 million in wagers, 7 percent down on a quarterly y-o-y basis;
* Outstanding results from World Cup live betting which came in at Euro 109 million – up 26 percent on the 2010 soccer spectacular and providing gross profits of Euro 31.2 million.
* Française des jeux, recorded a 30 percent improvement on World Cup wagers since 2010 through retail and online subsidiaries, with over 45 percent of its action coming though mobile devices. Betclic reported a similar breakthrough, with 53 percent of its wagers made through mobile channels, 25 percent on live bets;
* PMU said the World Cup had generated an extra Euro 1.2 million in wagers for it, and new punter sign-ups totalling 60,000;