MICHIGAN ONLINE GAMBLING BILL HEARING TODAY
State Senate Regulatory Reform Committee vote anticipated.
Senate Bill 889 will be centre stage before the Michigan Senate Regulatory Reform Committee later today (June 8) following an earlier and positive hearing before the committee early last month
The bill is authored by Sen. Mike Kowall, who is reportedly confident that his bill will be advanced to the Senate floor.
Provisions in SB 889 include:
* Players over 21 years only.
* Includes online poker and casino action.
* Allows Michigan-based land casinos and tribal casinos toapply for a licence, with no more than eight licenses envisaged..
* Imposed a $5 million licensing fee – including an upfront, nonrefundable $100,000 fee. The $5 million fee is an advance payment against future taxes owed.
* Incorporates a 10 percent tax on gross gaming revenue.