MOBILE IN THE ONLINE GAMBLING SECTOR:
The mobile and tablet markets’ meteoric rise in popularity continues as customers constantly seek convenience of products while on the move.
"2012 is likely to be recognised as the year mobile gambling finally came of age”, said Research and Markets Mobile Gambling: A comprehensive Strategy and Market Review.
Juniper Research believes that while mobile is currently seen as a customer retention tool, operators should increasingly utilise the platform as a means of customer acquisition. It predicts that wagers via mobile devices across all forms of gambling are expected to reach $100 Billion by 2017.
Movements in the mobile arena over the period of review included:
- A new hosted agnostic mobile gaming platform dubbed AGON from mobile and social games start-up AbZorba Games LLC launched complete with a suite of just-for-fun social casino titles under the title “Hub of Fun Casino” for white label partnerships.
- Paddy Power extended its mobile gambling appeal with the addition of 9 new Playtech games.
- Betfred.com entered into a major service supply deal with full-service mobile agency InfoMedia
- Mansion Group-owned Casino.com went live with a mobile games portal from Playtech.
- Bally Technologies developed and launched a custom mobile solution in the form of iOS and Android applications for the Sequim, Clallam County, Washington State-situated 7 Cedars Casino and the Placerville, California land casino Red Hawk Casino.
- Zynga has added NFC peer-to-peer mode (Bump technology) to its Zynga Poker Android application.
- Probability plc acquired Playyoo for GBP 1.8 million, a company that has developed a business to business mobile gambling and sportsbetting platform.
- NetPlay TV enlisted the services of application developer Miles Ahead for the design and implementation of its Super Casino Live Roulette mobile application.
- Talarius-owned online casino Quicksilver.co.uk developed and launched a mobile channel in conjunction with Play'n GO.
- The New York Racing Association appointed Ruckus Wireless to deploy its new mobile on-track wagering system at the Saratoga Race Course.
- William Hill plc’s Brandywine Bookmaking in the US will upgrade the land and mobile sports betting facilities at the Plaza Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
- Virgin Mobile Casino launched International Game Technology’s remote game server for mobile which offers a range of top IGT mobile games.
- Seattle-based Big Fish Gaming will introduce the iOS version of its real-money Big Fish Casino app to Britain via the App Store. Financial transactions will be processed through Betable, a London-based partner in the enterprise.
- Net Entertainment’s NetEnt Touch suite of iOS games has been developed for the Android platform.
- Independent social slot and casino-style game developer Blitzoo Games launched an iOS app version of its popular Facebook SlotSpot games.
- Sports betting odds supplier Betting Promotion will provide Elec Games Ltd, the company behind the InstaDeal fast poker product, with sportsbetting services for smartphone or tablet devices.
- Cozy Games Management Ltd will develop a suite of games for the mobile and tablet market for FremantleMedia Enterprises.
- Mobile sports betting solutions provider Cantor Gaming inked a deal with the Las Vegas-situated RoadRunner Saloon restaurants, owned by Corrigan Management Inc.
- U.S. Terrestrial casino Mount Airy Casino Resort will offer its customers Apple and Android mobile applications developed by Bally Technologies' Interactive division.
- Internet gaming provider NYX Interactive launched MOVE powered by NYX OGS, a hosted mobile and tablet casino games service.
Mobile operational applications released over the period included:
- PokerStars launched is Android app into the Spanish market with an iOS version scheduled soon. First introduced to the Italian market earlier this year, the app was later rolled out in the British, French, Canadian and European markets.
- Betfair has launched a new native Android app that features a completely revamped user experience customised for the Linux-based operating system.
- Intralot Mobile launched a new betting app.
- Zeniz, owned in partnership by The United States Playing Card Company and digi117, updated its Casino by Zeniz, a freemium casino app launched recently for iOS.
- Redkings launched a “Portable Poker on Android” app in real money or play-for-fun mode.
- William Hill released a new Virtue Fusion-developed app for Android smart phones featuring a choice of bingo rooms, mini-games and a chat facility.
- Gamesys' operational website Jackpotjoy launched its Free Slots mobile app on iTunes.
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club horseracing operator launched its iPad betting app.
- Aristocrat created the Aristoapp, an app for iPhone and iPad where company information can be quickly found, including descriptions of games, cabinets, and apps. Systems are also on the Aristoapp, with full descriptions of Oasis 360 and nVision as well as the nLiveLink solution that links an nLive virtual casinos to the brick-and-mortar casinos.
- Following the launch of Big Fish Casino by games developer Big Fish Games, the company launched its new play-for-cash mobile casino to the UK market.
- Paddy Power launched an Android PaddyPower Bingo app allowing customers to move between its mobile and desktop versions using the same login for both.
- Following up by its Roller Casino App designed exclusively for iPhone and iPad systems.