Thursday, January 31, 2013 : RANK MOBILE GAMBLING REVENUES UP 172 PERCENT
UK land and online gambling group reports on half year performance
The British online and land gambling group Rank plc has released its half year performance results, taking into account operations over the six months ended 31 December 2012.
Mobile operations turned in an outstanding performance, increasing revenues by an impressive 172 percent.
Other highlights in the results include:
* Group revenues up 5 percent to GBO 312 million
* EBITDA up 1 percent at GBP 53.7 million
* Operating profit 3 percent down at GBP 33.4 million
* Profit before tax down 4 percent at GBP 31.3 million due largely to one-off additional marketing costs in Blue Square Bet and higher operating costs in Mecca venues
* Net cash way up at GBP 62.6 million (H1 2011 – GBP 25 million)
* 33 percent rise in operating profit at Grosvenor Casinos venues
* 11 percent rise in revenue at Mecca Bingo.com
* Digital channels increased group customer visits
* Fastest growing channel of distribution was mobile, which increased revenue by 172 percent
* GBP 13.1 million group investment in Grosvenor Casinos venues and across the Group's UK digital channels
* Acquisition of Gala Casinos pending Competition Commission approval and is expected to complete by 20 February 2013
Ian Burke, chief executive, said:
"Rank has delivered a satisfactory set of results in what is a challenging economic environment. Growth in customer numbers, visits and spend per visit across the group has been achieved by strong performances in our Grosvenor Casinos venues and in Meccabingo.com. Whilst adjusted profit before tax is slightly lower than last year, this is largely due to the increased marketing spend incurred by Blue Square Bet and higher operating costs in our Mecca venues.
"Allowing for the slow start to the second half we remain confident in our prospects for the remainder of the year and in our longer-term growth strategy."