Thursday July 18,2013 : ARJEL RELEASES FRENCH ONLINE GAMBLING NUMBERS
Despite the whinges, the French market outperforms Italy and Spain
Numbers from the French regulator ARJEL Wednesday showed that despite complaints of high taxation and the need for reform, the French market outperformed its national equivalents in Italy and Spain.
Remote gambling in the French ring-fenced market delivered GGR of Euro 798 million in 2012, well ahead of Italy's Euro 749 million and Spain's Euro 117 million.
Over a third of French online betting revenues emanated from pari mutuel horseracing.
The French regulator also published the results of a survey carried out in H1-2013 among a large 150,000 player sample in France, confirming some of the details leaked at the recent regulatory conference .
Interesting excerpts from the survey show that:
- 37,7 percent played only on online poker
- 19,6 percent focused on online sportsbetting
- 17,1 percent gambled solely on online horseracing parimutuel
- 10,3 percent took part in online horseracing parimutuel and online sportsbetting
- 7,7 percent wagered on online sportsbetting and poker
- 6 percent played all regulated verticals
- 1,5 percent played online poker and bet on parimutuel horseracing
Players mostly (75 percent) focused on just one type of game, playing from a single account (85 percent). .