Latest UK gambling industry statistics
Monday June 30,2014 : U.K. GAMBLING COMMISSION RELEASES LATEST INDUSTRY STATISTICS
Land gambling still dominates the business.
The UK Gambling Commission has released its latest set of industry statistics, covering the period between October 2012 and September 2013, excluding the National Lottery, with the following high points:
* Total gross gambling yield (GGY) of almost GBP 6.7 billion…an increase of GBP 252 million on the previous reporting period between April 2012 and March 2013.
* Terrestrial sports gambling is still tops, creating GGY of GBP 3.3 billion, or 48 percent of total GGY in the reporting period.
* Terrestrial casino gambling generated GBP 1.1 billion in GGY, or 16 percent of the market.
* Remote gambling generated a similar amount (slightly less than GBP 1.1 billion) and commands a further 16 percent of the total market.
* The Commission notes that the remote gambling sector showed a significant GBP 127 million rise over the previous reporting period, almost doubling the revenues generated between April 2009 and March 2010.
* The terrestrial arcade and bingo sectors fared less well, ecording declined in GGY.
* Despite extensive negative media coverage suggesting Britain Is being over-supplied with High Street betting shops, the figures show that licensed betting offices actually declined by 45.
* The industry as a whole employs 104,137 people, a decline of 3 percent on the previous reporting period.