Saturday June 27,2015 : HISTORICAL SNAPSHOT OF U.K. ONLINE GAMBLING
A useful benchmark for the future.
The UK Gambling Commission has published industry statistics for the period 1 April 2010 to 30 September 2014, with the final twelve months of the period providing a useful comparison benchmark for the future as one of the last set of pre-point-of-consumption gambling statistics.
Highlights from the report include:
* Only 19 percent of UK online gambling revenue was attributable to UK-licensed operators;
* Just 15 percent of the market was claimed by UK-licensed operators;
* The overall UK gambling market (excluding the national lottery) was worth GBP 7.1 billion, an increase of 5 percent over the preceding twelve month period;
* UK-licensed online gambling operators generated GGY of GBP 1.35 billion, up 27 percent y-o-y; not far off the GBP 1.62 billion generated by betting shop-based FOBTs;
* 46 percent of the UK market was attributed to land-based betting.
* Online sport betting market share was up 3 percent y-o-y to 19 percent;
* Online sports betting GGY rose 35 percent to GBP 1.19 billion with football and tennis the main market drivers;
* Online casino GGY came in at GBP 24 million, falling by 12 percent, but online bingo GGY was up 79 percent from a low base to GBP 7.7 million;
* Online player registrations grew 14.5 percent to 5.59 million, and the number of industry people employed to manage them rose 8 percent to 6,285.